Putnoe Medical and Walk-In Centre, Bedford.
93 Queens Drive
Putnoe • Bedford
MK41 9JE

Letter for new patients: important information about your Summary Care Record

Dated: 16-Jan-15

Dear Patient,

The NHS in England has introduced the Summary Care Record, an electronic health record that can be accessed when you need urgent treatment from somebody other than your own GP.

Summary Care Records contain key information about the medicines you are taking, allergies you suffer from and any bad reactions to medicines you have had in the past.  You will be able to add other information too if you and your GP agree that it is a good idea to do so.

If you have an accident or fall ill, the people caring for you in places like accident and emergency departments and GP out of hours services will be better equipped to treat you if they have this information.  Your Summary Care Record will be available to authorised healthcare staff whenever and wherever you need treatment in England, and they will ask your permission before they look at it.

You need to make a decision

Your GP practice is supporting Summary Care Records and as a patient you have a choice:

  • Yes, I would like a Summary Care Record.  If you want a record you do not need to do anything further, one will be created for you when you register with your GP practice. If you opted out of having a record in the past but have now changed your mind, contact your GP Registration Team on 01234 221973 and they will create one for you.
  • No, I do not want a Summary Care Record.  If you do not want a record, you need to fill in the Summary Care Record opt out form and hand it in to your GP practice.  You should do this even if you have already completed a form at your previous practice. 
  • You are free to change your decision at any time by informing your GP practice.

Children under 16 will automatically have a Summary Care Record created for them unless their parent or guardian chooses to opt them out.  If you are the parent or guardian of a child under 16 and feel that they are old enough to understand, please tell them about Summary Care Records and explain the options available to them.

For more information talk to your GP practice, or call the Health and Social Care Information Centre on 0300 303 5678

View All News Topics